“Homeopathy cures a larger percentage of cases than any other method…and is beyond all doubt safer, more economical and the most complete medical science”- Gandhi
Did you know that Homeopathy is the second most widely used system of medicine in the world? In England and the Netherlands homeopathy is even included in the National Health Service!
In England, 42% of the country’s physicians refer patients to homeopaths. The Royal family itself has used homeopathy for three generations! In France, over 18,000 physicians prescribe homeopathic remedies. There are seven medical schools offering post graduate degrees in Homeopathy, and all pharmacies carry homeopathic remedies. India has over 70,000 board certified homeopathic physicians, hundreds of homeopathic hospitals and clinics, and many homeopathic medical schools.
Why do these, and so many other countries, value this form of medicine?
1. Homeopathy is extremely effective. When the correct remedy is taken, results can be rapid, complete and permanent.
2. Homeopathy is completely safe. Infants and pregnant women can use Homeopathy without the danger of side effects. Homeopathics can also be taken at the same time as other medications without producing unwanted side effects.
3. Homeopathy is natural. It works with your immune system, unlike some conventional medicines, which suppress the immune system (e.g. Cough medicines-suppress the cough reflex, which is your body’s attempt to clear the lungs).
4. Homeopathic remedies are not addictive.
5. Homeopathy is holistic. It treats all the symptoms as one, or addresses the cause, not the symptoms.
A fuller understanding of homeopathic pharmacology helps us to really grasp the energy medicine model. The human body operates with a complex, and at the same time, simple, vital force. Energy animates the body and causes the cells to talk to each other in order for things to operate as they should. Well-being depends on our keeping this vital force operating at its maximum equilibrium.
Homeopathic preparations are produced through a process known as “potentization”, where upon the original substance is diluted and “successed” or shaken. Depending on the potency desired this process will be repeated. In this way, the “etheric energy” in the substance is freed to interact with the energy of the body.
With that basic concept in mind, let’s now consider the three principles basic to homeopathic medicine:
1. Like cures like. A substance given in large crude doses will produce specific symptoms. When this same material has been reduced in size, and administered in minute doses, it will stimulate the body’s reactive processes to remove these same symptoms (e.g. “Ipecacuanha” will create nausea in large doses and relieve nausea in small doses).
2. Minimal Dose. The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.
3. The Single Remedy. Even if many symptoms are being experienced, generally only one remedy is taken. The one remedy targets all the symptoms. To illustrate, consider how homeopathics function effectively with insomnia. A person may be very excited or happy and not be able to “turn off” their mind at night when it’s time for bed. “Coffea Cruda” is derived from unroasted coffee beans, which, of course, can cause symptoms of insomnia. Insomnia is simply a symptom of an imbalance in the vital force, or “energy” which animates the body.
When an insomniac is given the homeopathic remedy “Coffea Cruda” the energy of the remedy resonates with the existing state of imbalance being experienced. The vital force is provoked to throw off the energy of the remedy, and along with it-the existing imbalance. The imbalance is “cleared” and sleep is improved.
Why, then, does not everyone take homeopathic preparations? Good question! One of the main reasons may be that homeopathics generally take a bit longer to function than conventional medicines. It is also very personalized, usually requiring a trained natural health care professional’s assistance.
Homeopathy doesn’t subscribe to the “one-pill–for-all” mentality. The right preparation needs to be taken for symptoms. For example, a headache may be caused by many things (emotional or physiological). One must identify what the source of the issue is in order to address the headache rather than simply take a pill. To be honest, most people are far too impatient.
Dr. David Reilly of the Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital in Great Britain said, regarding the efficacy of homeopathic preparations, “there were positive findings in 70 percent of a further 180 clinical trials. I hope this will encourage doctors to examine the volume of evidence supporting homeopathy-they might be surprised.”
References: Jenny Hope, Daily Mail, “Homeopathy Works,” Article #4040 Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, “Homeopathy,” University of Maryland Medical Center, 9-72009 Julian Winston, “Some history of the treatment of epidemics with homeopathy,” www.whale.to/v/winston.html